Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Breaking news isn't breaking news

As a journalist, I feel it is important for me to keep updated on current events. I have downloaded an ABC News application on my iPhone and read the headlines and usually some interesting stories throughout the day. I also subscribe to breaking news update e-mails from ABC as well.

Recently, I have begun to think about un-subscribing. The e-mails I receive about breaking news isn't breaking news. For example:

  • While I do think that the stock market is important in the current economic crisis, I don't need e-mail updates when it does well or doesn't do well. 
  • Tiger Woods has been in the entertainment news section for awhile now and that's fine. He's a public figure and has voluntarily put himself in the spotlight. People will find out what he does wrong. But I don't need a breaking news update e-mail about how his mother-in-law was rushed to the hospital. That can be a story, sure. But I don't need an e-mail.
  • A senator from Connecticut was diagnosed with cancer. That's unfortunate, I agree, but it's not breaking news. Don't send me an e-mail about it. Post a story online if you think it's that newsworthy.
Things I do think are breaking news worthy:
  • Honda recalled nearly 40,000 cars. If I drove a Honda, I would like to know this. While I drive a Ford, it's still nice to know that I shouldn't plan on buying a Honda any time soon and I can also warn my friend who do drive the specific Honda they recalled.
  • The Fort Hood killings. I found out about it from an e-mail update and went to follow the story online, on TV, on Twitter, and on Facebook. It was something of such a huge national impact that it deserved to be in my inbox.
If I ever had the chance to pick one thing to change about Journalism, this would be it. The definition of breaking news needs to be changed.

1 comment:

  1. Did they update you to let you know that Toyota recalled several million cars? I think I'll be buying Honda before Toyota! ;)

    ReplyDelete