Monday, November 9, 2009

First Ever Blog

In response to a recommendation by the #1 School of Journalism at the University of Missouri, I have started a blog. When first told to start such a thing, my thoughts drifted back to the days of Xanga. I morally objected to a repeat of such “journaling”. At 20 years old, I was not going to tell the world the miniscule occurrences of my daily life. No one needs to know or should care that I helped my mom clean. Although now that I don’t live with my mother, the same goes for not needing to know about my roommate’s cleaning habits.


After talking to a former high school classmate and now college peer, I became more aware that the world of blogging is not equivalent with Xanga.


[Pause] I don’t know how I would survive college without said peer’s advising. It’s nice to know someone a year ahead of myself who I’ve known since high school. He knows the background I come from as far as previous training and is able to give me examples and helpful things to relate to because of this. He has saved me from many mental breakdowns and I feel that I’ll be in contact with him much more now that I’m moving up the ladder in the Broadcast world of the Missouri School of Journalism. [Play]


I will admit that I have been procrastinating the official creation of a blog until I had a topic that I felt I could write several paragraphs on. The first idea came to me after discussing a project my roommate is working on. (I feel she will be a major character in my blog writing). Her project is to create a mock Lexus ad for her Strategic Communications Design class. The main point was to market the ad to minorities.


Before I progress, I feel it is important to say that I am half Mexican. My last name clearly states that I have at least some Hispanic blood in me. My father is almost full blooded Mexican (with a little Native American splashed in) and my mother is Polish and Canadian French.


My first question: Why do minorities need cars to be marketed towards them? The people who buy a Lexus are upper middle class citizens. Being a minority has nothing to do with whether or not they buy a Lexus.


My second question: Why would the ad convince a minority to buy a Lexus? If I could afford a Lexus with my college salary, I don’t think I would be persuaded to purchase one because it had a sombrero on top of it.


Maybe this irks me more because I am of Mexican decent. I’m proud of my heritage (on both sides) but I’m growing more and more tired of companies marketing towards minorities specifically or people thinking of minorities differently.

1 comment:

  1. Part of these reason companies are wanting to target ads at minorities is that the minority population of the US is growing. Second, I'm sure you know this, people of Hispanic descent are projected to become the majority within the next 10-15 years (time may be off). Otherwise good first post.

    ReplyDelete